Varicose & Spider Vein Treatment
Your venous system is made up of a network of both superficial and deep veins. Healthy leg veins contain valves that open and close to assist in returning blood back to the heart. When these valves become diseased or damaged, they do not close properly. This results in a backward flow of blood in your veins — otherwise known as venous reflux disease.
Common signs and symptoms of venous reflux disease include:
- Aching, tired or weak legs, especially after long periods of standing or sitting
- Burning or itching of the skin
- Swollen legs and/or ankles
- Color and texture changes of the skin
- Open wounds
- Varicose or spider veins
If left untreated, these vein problems can lead to more serious complications. For this reason, early treatment by the skilled vascular specialists at Pinehurst Surgical is essential.
Varicose Vein & Spider Vein Treatment
Varicose veins and spider veins are two of the most common vein conditions found in our patients. Varicose veins are large, bulging veins caused by weakness in the vein wall or venous reflux disease, whereas spider veins are small, dilated veins near the surface of the skin.
Depending on your individual needs, one or more of the following procedures may be recommended.
- Sclerotherapy – This procedure involves use of a very small needle to inject a hypertonic saline solution into the vein. The solution irritates the vein lining, causing the vein to shrink, close off, and eventually disappear. Multiple veins may be injected during a single treatment session, and treatment sessions last for around 30 minutes to an hour.
- Foam Sclerotherapy – A procedure similar to traditional sclerotherapy, foam sclerotherapy is usually used on larger varicose veins. The solution Sotradecol or Polidocanol is mixed with air, creating a foam. When injected inside a vein, the foam displaces the blood rather than mixing with it, forming a better contact with the vein wall.
- VNUS Closure Procedure – VNUS closure is a minimally invasive radiofrequency procedure that treats varicose veins and their underlying cause(s) with little or no pain.
- Micro-Phlebectomy – This surgical procedure involves the removal of veins through tiny incisions.
- New Laser Sclerotherapy Treatments
Common Insurance Questions About Our Varicose Vein Treatments
Most insurance companies consider the treatment of varicose veins that are causing painful or life style limiting (swelling with prolong standing or sitting) symptoms to be “medically necessary.” A staff member at our vascular specialty department will explain insurance reimbursement procedures in cases of medical necessity and will help with obtaining pre-certification. Procedures performed for cosmetic purposes are typically not covered by insurance companies.
Pinehurst Surgical Clinic is a multi-specialty clinic comprised of ten specialty centers located in a state-of-the-art surgical facility in Pinehurst, NC. Our board-certified vascular surgeons offer safe, thoughtful treatment for spider veins and varicose veins at our Pinehurst, Laurinburg, Hamlet and Sanford clinical offices, serving patients in Southern Pines, Fayetteville, Red Springs and all surrounding areas throughout North Carolina and South Carolina.